Keepit can restore all Office 365 data areas: OneDrive, Exchange Online (Mail, Tasks, Calendar, Contacts), Groups & Teams, SharePoint, and Public Folders.
The only exception is Teams Channels conversations and Wiki pages, which can be only previewed, copy-pasted out, and downloaded as raw files. Please note, however, that the backup of Channel conversations may not work for some customers. Read more here.
You can restore your data using one of two methods: item restore or general restore.
Item restore is when you select individual items or folders to be restored. All items can be restored in place to their original locations.
In case of duplicate filenames but different file content:
- OneDrive, Groups, and SharePoint files and folders will be overwritten.
- Exchange files and folders will be added to the location. (These data items will never have duplicates since they have their own unique IDs and receive new IDs each time they are restored.)
Note: Public Folders data cannot be modified so this case is not relevant for this data area.
In case of duplicate filenames and the same file content, items will be skipped.All Mail, Calendar, and OneDrive folders and subfolders can also be restored to folder. See the section below "To folder" to see what happens when you restore these to folder.
A general restore is when you restore data types across all accounts on a connector or specific data types in selected accounts. General restore also allows you to restore certain data to a new folder instead of back to the original location.
All data types can be restored in place to their original location. This means that when you send a request to restore a snapshot, the following will happen in your Office 365 account:
- Items in the snapshot that are not found in the target location will be created.
- Items found in the target location that are not present in the snapshot will be deleted.
- Items with same filename but different file content will be overwritten (except Tasks and Contacts will be added and Mail will be skipped)
- Items with same filename and same file content will be skipped.
Calendar and Mail and OneDrive data can be restored either in place or to folder.
If you select to restore "to folder," then a new folder will be created where all the data will be restored to. The folder will be found at the root level of your Calendar, Outlook, or OneDrive and named "Keepit_Restore_[date of restore]."
Notes on Restoring Public Folders
To back up and restore Public Folders, please make sure you grant the Global administrator Owner level positions. See: Preparing your Office 365 account
User Permissions are automatically restored when you restore a root-level "Public Folders" folder or a whole "Public Folders" sub-folder.
Notes on Restoring SharePoint
For more details on what happens your SharePoint data when you restore, as well as what can or cannot be restored, please see:
What happens to my SharePoint data when I restore?
Can I restore any part of my SharePoint data?
Restoring SharePoint data across a whole tenant
How do I restore my SharePoint data?