The Microsoft 365 service account used to handle the backup must be assigned the Global administrator role.
The Global administrator must also have a proper license: Power BI Pro or Power BI Premium – depending on the type of workspaces that will be backed up.
If needed, the Global admin role can be removed from the user after the connector is created.
Create a Power BI connector
Important: Before you begin, please make sure you are signed out of all personal Microsoft accounts and are only signed into the account you will be using for backup. Otherwise, please sign in to Keepit in an incognito window.
1. On the Connectors page, in the lower-right corner, select Add connector > Add Power BI сonnector.
2. Select Sign in to be redirected to the Microsoft sign-in page. If you are not already signed in, enter your Microsoft 365 account credentials.
3. Read through the permissions and allow access by selecting Accept.
Note: You will only be asked for permissions the first time you create a connector. After that, Keepit retains the permissions it needs.
4. You will be redirected back to Keepit where you can configure your connector.
Here you can:
- Change the name of the connector
- Select what workspaces to include in the backup
- Manage user access to the connector by selecting the lock icon
- Limit the retention period by selecting the calendar icon
5. Select Create. Your connector will be created and the first backup will be scheduled.