To back up Dynamics 365 CE data, the Microsoft 365 user must be assigned the Global administrator role and have a proper Dynamics license.
Note: It is not possible to remove the Global admin role from the service account after the connector is created. As our Dynamics app works on behalf of the signed-in user, we need a high-privileged user signed in to the app. The app needs permissions to count seats, discover available tenants, and access each one, as well as to perform backups and restores.
The Dynamics license can be:
- One of the following subscription plans (or individual licenses that are part of these plans): Dynamics 365 Plan, Customer Engagement Plan, Unified Operations Plan, Dynamics 365 Applications, Dynamics 365 Team Members
- One of the following Dynamics 365 apps: Marketing, Sales, Customer Service, or Field Service
The user must also be assigned the system administrator security role and have read-write access. For more information, see Check security role and access mode.
Create a Dynamics connector
Important: Before you sign in, please make sure you are signed out of all personal Microsoft accounts and are only signed into the account you will be using for backup. Otherwise, please sign in to Keepit in an incognito window.
1. On the Connectors screen, select Add connector, and then select Add Dynamics 365 connector.
2. Select Continue to be redirected to the Microsoft sign-in page. If you are not already signed in, enter your Dynamics 365 account credentials.
3. Read through the permissions and allow access by selecting Accept.
Note: You will only be asked for permissions the first time you create a connector. After that, Keepit retains the permissions it needs.
4. You will be redirected back to Keepit where you can configure your connector.
Here you can:
- Change the name of the connector.
- Manage user access to the connector by selecting the lock icon. For more information, see How do I configure role-based access control for a connector?
- Limit the retention period. For more information, see Change a connector's retention period
5. Select Create. Your connector will be created and the first backup will be scheduled.